Sunday, December 23, 2007

Let the Madness Begin






Yea, Christmas is here! I know, I know, I'm a couple of days early, but this year I have a whirlwind Christmas with lot's of travelling, so for me that started today. My Mom is in town from Phoenix, and even though it's the year we go to Ryan's parents, I still had to go visit my family. Because Ryan has to work on Christmas Eve, just Sofia and I are going.

Things started off good. I had the car packed and we were out the door by 8:30 a.m., not a small feat I may add. Anyway, there's little traffic on the road, Sofia is quietly looking at her book in the back seat, and we're just about to hit the Jeffersonville Outlets when I hear it. "Blech, blech, blech." That's right, ladies and gentleman, Sofia proceeds to throw up all over herself. (**Warning** the rest of this paragraph may be quite gross) It was disgusting. This is the first time I've had to deal with her puking up real food as opposed to formula. It was chunky and it smelled. Thank god there was a rest area. I pulled into a parking space and got Sofia out of the car. Of course this is one of the windiest days we've had, and poor Sofia is standing in the parking lot, covered in puke, in her socks. (Doesn't that paint a pretty picture.) I grab her diaper bag and hold the poor girl out at arm's length in an attempt not to get any of the mess on me. Don't worry, I did get some of it on my purse and shirt because no one could be bothered to get the door for us. I cleaned Sofia up as best I could, put her in a fresh outfit and attempted to clean her dirty clothes in the sink. Let me ask, what kind of restroom does not have paper towels?! Seriously, I'm all for the environment, but I really needed those paper towels, not an automatic sink that barely worked or a hand dryer. Anyway, once Sofia was cleaned up, the real fun began. How was I going to clean the babyseat? I wasn't going to pull a Britney Spears and let my child ride on my lap (although that thought did cross my mind), so I tried to clean the seat as best I could. All I had were diaper wipes and a couple of napkins I found in my glovebox. And oh yeah, Sofia's favorite blanket. I got most of it up but still had to put a blanket down for Sofia to sit on and unfortunatly there was still the smell. I'm sure we made quite an arrival, a smelly baby, a smelly carseat and a pissed-off Carissa. Merry F-ing Christmas.

I was a little worried that whole episode would dictate how the rest of the day went, but surprisingly everything went really well. My Mom, Ken and sisters all went to my aunt Tammy and uncle Dwayne's house for a get-together. My uncle David and his family were driving up from Texas and we all hadn't seen them in forever. Sofia did really well with all of the people. She was just happy to snack on things and explore this new place. I was quite relieved that everything went so well and we all had such a good time. Now if only I could get that smell out of the carseat.
This is a picture of my uncle David and family (Deborah, David, me, Sofia, David and Danielle)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The same thing totally happened to me a few years ago! Just me and Isaac on our way to Toledo when I look in the rear view mirror and vomit explodes all over the car. I had to stop at Meijer and clean Isaac off in the bathroom. Then buy some wipes and a new coat. It was NASTY!!!